Sunday, December 7, 2008

Imported Children’s books

I have membership in BookWorld Library, where they have many imported childrens books - i think mainly from US.
Along with my son I also read these books. I wonder at the number of books they bring out for each age group. There are many things that fascinate me to read those books along with my son!

  • The main characters are boys and girls of that particular age group to which the books is categorized.
  • The story tell simple things like fighting with brother and coming to a compromise, clash between two friends in the class or school, going to the zoo with father etc
  • There is nothing specially told as moral, but it is there all the time…. Advise should not look like advise
  • Ah, and the pictures – beautiful depictions. Visual medium is the most effective way to understand things.
  • There is one main point (which in turn points to my previous post - My dream about India by 2020). I still remember one book which touched my heart - where the friends go to a library and the picture shows the Librarian as lady in a wheel chair. But the story mentions her only as the librarian. The picture tells everything….And another one, where a cousin who throws temper tantrums come for sleep over….Soon the boy realizes his cousin’s talent as a football player. And many other books which shows people with special needs as part of our life… The child learns to understand and gradually it extends to the real life. I have never seen such depictions in our own books.
  • Many of the classic books are available in a smaller version for the children like Christmas carol, Around the days in 80 days and many others

I feel our Indian children’s books have a long way to go.........

Google