Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Home Maker?

When I tell that I am a Home maker, people raise their brows! And many have told me that I am out of senses to leave such a lucrative career.

If you ask me if the decision was worth; I will say YES A MILLION TIMES. I have the confidence that I can build it up all again, after sometime. But my son’s childhood is not going to wait; later I should not say that if only I had done that to him at the right time…!

But getting adjusted to the new way of life was bit difficult initially. Suddenly there was an emptiness created in my mind. I don’t have a hectic schedule to achieve, I don’t have a target, I don’t have to pull my hairs to solve the numerous software bugs! It is very depressing when you are not able to pursue your passion.

Another problem I found being at home is that, there are so many ways time can be wasted.

First & foremost is tendency to watch TV
Sleeping – afternoon nap
If on computer, never ending Browsing
Postponing the work

Then I decided that I should not waste away the few hours I get when Abhi goes to school. I started to develop my hobbies. Instead of scribbling my feelings and thoughts in books, I started to blog. I found there are many ways I can spent usefully, other than the above time wasters.

Fortunately I got few contract projects through known contacts that can be worked from home. That rejuvenated me and also opened a way for me to keep in touch with technology. Yes – a work-at-home MOM! I can do what I love as well as take care of my son! This is one good way to utilize ones own skills.

But in India this concept is still not popular and people hesitate to employ like that. But I am sure soon the scenario will change.

Google